Wednesday 3 December 2008

The Road to Ruin.

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream"
Edgar Allen Poe - 'Dream within a Dream'

Stabs of psychosis lunged at my mind as I thought upon my current situation, darkness swirled about my form, drawn to the intent and energy I toyed with in my quest for the power I would now seek to claim.
The Shadows, both creatures of the darkness created by the light, and those living who carried the tag, swarmed about me, ready to infect my body with the unholy power I asked for. I tilted my head, looking across to the Shadows Lord and Master, Janvier. His own blood carried much sway here, many of his daughters amongst the Shadows within the pit as we stood there.
He spoke to the gathered members, his words dancing past me as I focused on the coming ritual, gathering to myself the darkness I knew would be needed to become what I sought to be.. a Master over Death itself... a Lich.
Pain lanced through me as my hands performed the first task, driving my cold steel blade into my chest, ripping it upwards to split my torso apart, crimson rivers flowing freely as my innards were exposed to my family. The first of the Shadows stepped forward to claim my flesh as a prize, my own daughter Noelle, her fangs tearing from me my face, an eye bursting as her jaws ripped into my features.
Necessary agony washed over me, and memory fades into a blur of pain, organs claimed by the various members of the Shadows, the floor sanguine with my own lifeblood as it fades away from me, escaping my grasp never to be claimed again.
The time came, my skin and flesh torn from me, leaving little of what had once been known as Kaine... only strips of muscle... a single eye.. bone and the still beating heart remained... and the last step had come. My hand shot into my chest, pulling from it the last semblance of humanity I held.. and yet... part still remained.. held in check by my mind as I sought to keep hold of my reason.
Darkness wrapped around me, and I emerged reborn from it.. a Master of Darkness... The Deathwalker.

No comments: